How might we...
- Base Building: How might we improve our engagement with our members/base to build power?
- How might we work like a symphony across our internal departments to launch the neighborhood block captain program?
If our organizing team learns OutVote and uses it for member meetings then we’ll be able to train our members on it while furthering our work.
- Develop messages for texts
- Develop training agenda (look at GC training for help)
- Train organizers
- Survey to organizers afterwards.
- Staff feel excited and empowered by the training to recruit leaders to participate in the program.
- Feel prepared walking out of the training to talk to their leaders.
- Staff feel like they know how to use the P2P texting tool.
- We come out of the training feeling more like a team. A united effort that everyone is part of.
Nat’s Special Sauce for the training:
- Talk about how my campaign experience has been very metrics driven. You meet metrics or you don’t / pass or fail.
- And to encourage the team to view this experience as an experiment and a learning opportunity. We’re not doing this because we know it’ll work, we’re doing it to learn what works and what doesn’t.
- Way to convey that is through personal experience and stories.
- Get an account set up for Nat so they can have some direct experience.
- Really highlighted the importance of cross department collaboration.
- Having strong relationships and team dynamics is key to have set before you start experiments.
- It’s possible to incorporate new tools and technology into our existing organizing models with the right focus and context.
- Sometimes when you’re hesitant about something you just need to push through and make it happen!
We decided to break the experiment down into pieces. And that was really helpful to get this moving.
Nat decided from this to do some more thinking and work around finding the best CRM and tracking tool for organizing work.
- How could we use this tool as things go ‘back to normal’? Combining texting and in person tactics as those become more available.
- Are we structured internally as a team the best way? Are we meeting opportunities and moments for growth when we don’t’ work as collaboratively?
- Do we have the right systems for accurately tracking all the work the organizing team is doing?